Obamacare and what to do about health insurance when abroad?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
rudder
Junior Poster

Obamacare and what to do about health insurance when abroad?

Post by rudder »

Does anyone know the 411 on this? If I get injured in South America, can I get free emergency room visits and things like that? If not, what's the best option for health insurance while living down there?
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

I believe it works like any other national health service. "Obamacare" (Affordable Care Act) works one of two ways.

1) You buy insurance via exchanges. If you make above than I believe 140% above the poverty line (I think it $16K a year) then you qualify for subsidies I think up to about 70% of the cost of buying an insurance plan.

2) If you're unemployed or makes less than the 140% mark, the you will be enrolled in Medicaid automatically.

Now if you live in one of the 26 cities that have not taken the expansion of Medicaid funds and/or have not setup exchanges, then your SOL...

If you are in one of the 24 states that have or Vermont where they are starting a single payer system, then yes if you're overseas you do not pay any medical bills or you'll be reimbursed if you had to pay out of pocket for services.
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

djfourmoney wrote:I believe it works like any other national health service. "Obamacare" (Affordable Care Act) works one of two ways.

1) You buy insurance via exchanges. If you make above than I believe 140% above the poverty line (I think it $16K a year) then you qualify for subsidies I think up to about 70% of the cost of buying an insurance plan.

2) If you're unemployed or makes less than the 140% mark, the you will be enrolled in Medicaid automatically.

Now if you live in one of the 26 cities that have not taken the expansion of Medicaid funds and/or have not setup exchanges, then your SOL...

If you are in one of the 24 states that have or Vermont where they are starting a single payer system, then yes if you're overseas you do not pay any medical bills or you'll be reimbursed if you had to pay out of pocket for services.
Let me make sure I understand. So If I only have 12K income/year, then I have free worldwide health insurance coverage?
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

rudder wrote:
djfourmoney wrote:I believe it works like any other national health service. "Obamacare" (Affordable Care Act) works one of two ways.

Let me make sure I understand. So If I only have 12K income/year, then I have free worldwide health insurance coverage?
Yes you'll be enrolled into Medicaid, but as I said some countries will make you pay directly out of pocket. Then you'll have to file a claim with Medicaid and wait.

No idea when you'll be reimbursed however, I'd say about six months or less.
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

"What's the catch?" comes to mind.