Would you buy a Corona?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Would you buy a Corona?

Post by MrMan »

I am in the US. A little while, maybe a couple of weeks ago, I was at Sam's Club doing some shopping. I bought something at the concessions in the front and asked the guy behind the counter, "Do you have a Corona?" as a joke. I know it wasn't on the menu. He said Corona beers were on sale, and if people were smart, they'd buy them.

I figured the name of this virus would hurt beer sales. I don't drink beer. My alcohol consumption is pretty much limited to minute amounts left in food from wine used for cooking, communion wine on occasions I visit a church overseas that uses 'real wine' and the bits in syrup for an occasional cough. But for all those beer consumers out there, would you buy or drink Corona right now?

I heard Corona was coming out with a hard selser and were considering a tag line 'coming ashore soon.' They faced some criticism. If they wanted to do a brand extension, they could come out with a gin drink and call it 'Corona Tonic and Gin', or 'Corona Tonic' for short. That sounds like medicine for the corona virus so it might be popular, but can the government really get on their case for false advertizing since they owned the brand name before someone decided to use it as the main name for a deadly disease.

They should be calling this the 'Wuhan flu.' Your old familiar buddy 'the flu.' If they called it a flu, they might have presented some of the widespread panic. Trump might have been able to keep the stock market up high before the election.