New girl from UK

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
BellaRuth
Freshman Poster

New girl from UK

Post by BellaRuth »

Hi everyone,

Glad to have found this site.

I am 24 from England. I really want to move elsewhere in Europe, trying to narrow down the country.

Reasons why I want to move:

Britain is lovely and has a lot going for it. I live in a beautiful city and the quality of life is very good in comparison to other places. However, to enjoy the good side of Britain, you need money. If you are an average worker you will be working like a dog to raise your family in a glorified cupboard, so small are the houses here, and so high the house prices. To live in a nice area, in a decent sized house, affording leisure time, you'd need to be wealthy. As far as I can see, I can get what I want for less if I move abroad.

Where I want to end up:

I'd like a country neither too hot nor too cold. I'm very pale so couldn't entertain the thought of going too far down south, but then again I'm not much of a cold-weather girl either. I was thinking Czech Republic as I have heard it is very beautiful and the location seems perfect but I keep getting told how cold and reserved the Czechs are, which should be pretty extreme for me to be warned about it as a Brit! Basically I want a really happy, simple life. I want healthy organic food to be the norm, I want countryside around me as I'm definitely a rural one... but don't want to feel isolated and in too 'sleepy' a place either, I'd like to live near to a beautiful city. Languages aren't a problem as I enjoy learning them.

I've been to France, Spain, Cyprus and Turkey and am going to Estonia to brush up my Russian soon, but I couldn't handle an Estonian winter! France seemed just like England, the people, the scenery, the attitudes, but I only went to Normandy so perhaps I should explore further. Spain was nice but the people seemed very rude/unfriendly in general (I understand that's just part of the culture), the food extremely, and constantly, salty and the unfenced, narrow mountain roads absolutely terrifying. My sister lived there and enjoyed it but now she is in Cyprus (too hot for me) which she prefers. Was not overly impressed with Turkey.

Anyway.

Looking forward to reading the posts here!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Welcome BellaRuth,

Cheerio. Do they still say that in Britain?

Are you a Doctor Who fan too? The new series rocks.

What part of England are you from?

I've always felt an affinity with that country.

You are lucky that the rest of Europe is so close. You can just take the underwater train to France and begin backpacking from there. Lucky you.

Isn't it cheaper to live in the English countryside? Or Wales?

Have you tried Italy yet?

If you want cheap, try Eastern Europe.

You never know until you go there and try it out.

Why don't you go on a long tour around Europe? You can save money by backpacking and using free accomodation sites like http://www.couchsurfing.org and http://www.hospitalityclub.org

They will help a lot. My friend is in Prague right now and he says it's a lot of fun, even though people are kind of reserved. Maybe you can meet up with him there and say hi. He's a really cool guy and is in a band there too.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
BellaRuth
Freshman Poster

Post by BellaRuth »

Winston wrote:Welcome BellaRuth,

Cheerio. Do they still say that in Britain? Are you a Doctor Who fan too? The new series rocks.
Can't say I've ever said 'cheerio' in my life! I'm not a fan of Doctor Who either unfortunately. I saw the episode with vampires... once I got into it, it was okay. You tried Peep Show and The Inbetweeners? Two of my favourite British shows!
What part of England are you from?
I've travelled around quite a bit. Grew up in a little village in Warwickshire, spent my teenage years up until now in west Cornwall (the very tip, by Lands End and all that). So I've been a real country bumpkin. Right now I am in the Midlands again, but near Wales, as Cornwall is no place to start life (prices of houses are skyrocketing thanks to Londoners buying second homes, plus it's one of the poorest places in the UK). My heart is in Cornwall.
You are lucky that the rest of Europe is so close. You can just take the underwater train to France and begin backpacking from there. Lucky you.

Isn't it cheaper to live in the English countryside? Or Wales?
I know I'm lucky to be so close, plus I have had the advantage of knowing lots of people from other countries in Europe, as they're always over here, and being used to the languages/cultures from an early age. At the moment though, I'm a student so money is tight, but this year I plan to do some holidays to narrow down the countries...

The English countryside is fantastic but it's very, very expensive. Most of the time here it's the poor people in the city and the rich folks who can afford to buy a country home and commute. English villages are full of expensive houses and there's so way I can think of affording to live fairly decently in the sort of place I grew up in.

I've been to Wales a lot. It's beautiful, but... nah. I was really taken aback by how wet and rainy it was compared to England, and that's saying something. I can't see it being a place i can actually live in.
Have you tried Italy yet?

If you want cheap, try Eastern Europe.
Not tried Italy but know loads of people who've been and they say despite it being beautiful they'd never live there.

Eastern Europe I really love, was why I was thinking Czech Republic, but got to check it out first. Want to see Czech R., Slovakia, Ukraine. Want to go further north too, very into the Baltics, but to live there would be too cold. In the UK we have a lot of Eastern Euros and I think I'd rather be surrounded by the more cheerful mentality of those further South- but then the weather gets too much. There must be somewhere right!

Wouldn't say I feel comfortable with couch-surfing. Think I'd feel really awkward trying to get used to how the host wants things done. I'd rather not go through the whole 'leave bed unmade/make bed' fiasco, it's hard enough having a friend put you up. I'm thinking of hostels though.

Can't say when I'll be able to go to Prague but if he's still over there I'll say hi!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hi BellaRuth,

Wow I didn't know England was so expensive outside of London. On TV, the English countryside looks so peaceful and simple, that you'd think it wouldn't be expensive.

Is it true that in real life, Brits are very cold and not as sociable, talkative and funny as on TV?

Did you see David Tennant's last episode, The End of Time? I just saw it last night on YouTube and it was very exciting. Many say he was the best Doctor Who ever. It's too bad he quit. If you want to see it on YouTube, here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJaM_FtPHJU

It's nice to have a Brit on here. I haven't talked to one in a long time.

Btw, how would you compare British and Americans? Some say they are very similar, but I do not think the English agree. Can you compare and contrast them in your view? And also the males and females? In my experience, the Brits seem more educated and knowledgeable about things. But I tend to meet only the traveling types. What about the mainstream types?

Don't mind the comment by FuzzX. I think he was just being sarcastic.

The truth is, we don't get many females here anymore cause a lot of the content on this site repels them or offends them. Most females get mad when you say things that aren't politically correct. Plus we talk a lot about foreign women here, and females in general aren't interested in that. Plus, many females I've noticed get angry and defensive if you say that people in a certain country are cold and unfriendly. Even if it's true, they don't like hearing that, it seems to touch a nerve.

So I assume that you must be a very open minded nonjudgmental type. If so, I commend you for that. And I consider it an honor that you took interest to post here :)

How did you find this site?

Is there pressure in Britain to be politically correct too?

As I always say to those asking about different countries, there is no one culture for everyone. Everyone fits in differently and vibes differently and sees things differently and has a different chemistry. The only way for you to know if you'll like something is to try it out and follow your heart and gut instinct. Also watch for signs. When you vibe well somewhere, a lot of things will go your way, including luck and help from others.

I love the Baltics. Lithuania and Latvia were very fun and friendly and cheerful.

Many say Romania is a lot of fun too.

Couchsurfing people tend to be wonderful and open. They will not make a fuss about making your bed. They tend to be hippie types and not picky about those things. If you give it a try, you'll see. But of course, you have to be very open with strangers yourself.

Winston
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Bloody hell, welcome to the forum BellaRuth. I want to visit England someday especially London. I am very fond of the older victorian homes and buildings that still exist in parts of England. Maybe in a past life I lived in England because of all the British things I enjoy. lol :D

Some of my favorite music bands come from Great Britain. Also, I love the old british horror movies made by the Hammer film studios in the 50's and 60's. My favorite comedian was Benny Hill (he is now deceased, God rest his soul) and some of my favorite actors are from England, Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee and Roger Moore. Lest I forget, I love the James Bond movies, most of the them are just smashing! :lol:

Fancy you joining our forum! You will find many interesting topics of conversation here. Cheers!
BellaRuth
Freshman Poster

Post by BellaRuth »

Winston wrote:Hi BellaRuth,

Wow I didn't know England was so expensive outside of London. On TV, the English countryside looks so peaceful and simple, that you'd think it wouldn't be expensive.
Maybe that's just it. I really struggled adapting to life in a city- a small, countryside city at that- life in the country is more sociable, pleasant and of better quality generally. You talk to people easier, you have better food and more beautiful surroundings. British people are known to live longer lives in the countryside statistically, and the cities seem to be becoming filled with increasingly isolated (socially) workaholics. If you make a good living in London, it's pretty much expected that you move out 'to the country'- hence the problem with places such as Cornwall. Everyone wants to escape the cities when it is possible, to 'get out of the rat race'.
Is it true that in real life, Brits are very cold and not as sociable, talkative and funny as on TV?
Not really sure what to say to that. I wouldn't, honestly, call British people cold, but unsure which programme to compare us to. We are certainly warmer than, say, Eastern Europeans. On first sight we may appear cold, I guess, as we are quite reserved with strangers. In Britain it is good manners to give people peace and not disturb them. Personal space is of such high importance, and to invade a stranger's personal space would feel disrespectful. But this is just part of the culture and is not unfriendliness. We've evolved ways round this- the notorious weather subject, for instance. If you mention the weather to a stranger, it's a polite, acceptable way to let them know you'd like a chat. It's also another reason Britain has so many pubs- a designated place in which you can talk to others without feeling as though you are intruding. Every Brit is supposed to have a 'local' (pub) they visit frequently to talk to people from the area, as in an extended family. Nowadays, in rich areas, they may be more like 'bars', but there's still many local pubs you can just walk into and talk to complete strangers.

From MY personal perspective, I wouldn't call us cold. I think we are really very friendly and talkative, but wrapped in centuries-old mind-boggling social etiquette that confounds a lot of foreigners. Most of the time I think any coldness or rudeness is actually an attempt to be polite. I'd suggest reading a book such as 'Watching the English' by the anthropologist Kate Fox, I found it really funny and accurate (it's not heavy).

This is turning out to be a long post, sorry. Thank you for the clip, I'll watch it!
Btw, how would you compare British and Americans? Some say they are very similar, but I do not think the English agree. Can you compare and contrast them in your view? And also the males and females? In my experience, the Brits seem more educated and knowledgeable about things. But I tend to meet only the traveling types. What about the mainstream types?
I've never been to America, but I'll do the best I can with what I do know. Everyone else I know has been to America, and two of my aunts moved there twenty years back. I'm afraid it's not going to be too complimentary, but I'm just being as honest as poss.

First off I'd say British and Americans are miles apart, really. Any Brit will surely tell you they are nothing like Americans. Here, Americans are viewed as a bit loud, obnoxious, arrogant and over-the-top (they like everything to be BIG and SHINY with a brass band!). I don't want to give the impression we don't like Americans as that's not the case, but I'd say in general we are glad to not live there, particularly due to healthcare costs, and the way the country is run like a big corporation. I'd say the average British person would believe himself to be more educated, better-mannered and, I suppose, 'classy' than his stereotypical view of Americans (wouldn't say this is true however!). We also see Americans as overweight, which is a bit hypocritical as we are struggling with an obesity problem ourselves here.

My partner (from Colombia) has been to America a lot of times and I asked him to compare it to here. He says Americans in the Southern states are most like the British, as they are 'more courteous and friendly'. He says America is such a huge, diverse place it's hard to generalise, for instance that South Florida is a different planet to North Florida, that putting America together is like describing European people as a whole. But he says he found Americans much louder, more pushy, ruder and a bit difficult to deal with. He can't imagine himself living there and having an American girlfriend- unless he lived in Miami and integrated with the Latino community there.

About my aunts. They recently visited from America and have changed beyond belief. They have certainly gained weight and seem to 'look American' (the hair? the clothes? no idea) but the most drastic change has been in personality. My dad, their brother, says he can barely recognise them. They can't talk without shouting, they seem uninterested in people beyond having an audience, and they... struggling to find the word. They seem more... inconsiderate? Brutal? This isn't their basic personality, and both have picked up the same kind of thing. I can't help but wonder if it was the change in culture.

I've heard American girls walk around with their pyjama trousers on outside, which sounds crazy. The closest thing you'd find here is university students walking around with carefully tousled messy hair, Uggs and nothing on but an oversized uni hoodie, to make themselves look like their life is too cool to have the time to get dressed properly. I heard of a supermarket in Wales haing to ban pyjama trousers from being worn after a lower-class slobby mum decided to go in wearing her nightclothes at 8am, but I can't see it catching on here. I won't give the impression we are all carefully-dressed, there are lots of people who walk around scruffy as if they couldn't care less, especially in low socio-economic areas where no one sees the point in looking good, but pyjama trousers are quite another story. I think our biggest problem with fashion is we are addicted to jeans. But in the summer, for instance, I never wear trousers or jeans, it feels like a waste. A bit of sun in the UK and you'd see most of the girls in dresses and heels and the men in shorts and flip-flops. Once I wore a simple, normal dress with average shoes and an American girl asked me why I was dressed up and if it was Valentine's Day, trying to make me feel silly, which obviously shows a cultural difference there. Do you not wear dresses in the US?

I also keep hearing, again not sure if it is true, that American women count money as an important factor when finding a man. Not a single girl I have known, my whole life, would seriously think this would be important. Recently on the Jonathan Ross show there was a black American comedian on there who mentioned this. He said unless you have money American women are not interested in you. He found that the British put importance on your personality and didn't care about your earning power. Personally, I don't see a man's earning potential as important, I'd feel like a whore if I did!

I can't comment on how educated Americans are as a comparison, but I have quite in-depth conversations with my friends. I like talking about politics in particular, I suppose. Some Brits would only talk about reality TV and the nearest kebab shop.

In Britain I think there is a LOT of difference in the social classes. These have nothing to do with money. You can only be upper-class if you are related to aristocracy, for instance, even if you are dirt poor. A working-class man who wins the Euromillions will still be working-class. I think this is different to America. Here, social class is about background, education, tastes, etc. If you see, and attempt to talk to, a lower-class girl here, you'd be on a COMPLETELY different planet than a middle-class one. Everyone in Britain, unless they are lower-class, are reasonably educated, I'd say. I often hear people talking about in-depth subjects and serious documentaries and quiz shows are popular here.

As an aside: I recently saw a clip on Youtube about an American show called Doctors. There was music, flashing lights and these very young, model-looking doctors with impossibly white teeth and fake tans came bounding down the stairs waving at the screaming studio audience. It turned out this was meant to be a show that gives medical advice. In Britain this is too crass. If we had a medical advice show it would be pretty serious and probably in the form of a documentary where an imperfect-looking real doctor, almost certainly over 30 for extra credibility, talks to average people. In America everything is so polished, so glamorous and shiny, it's like nails down a blackboard.
The truth is, we don't get many females here anymore cause a lot of the content on this site repels them or offends them. Most females get mad when you say things that aren't politically correct. Plus we talk a lot about foreign women here, and females in general aren't interested in that. Plus, many females I've noticed get angry and defensive if you say that people in a certain country are cold and unfriendly. Even if it's true, they don't like hearing that, it seems to touch a nerve.
Actually I think i just rushed in without reading the content properly. I thought it was just a forum for people wanting to emigrate, now I realise there is a focus on the women in different countries. I can't comment on American women, but I could say what I know of women from a lot of European countries.

I have no idea how I found this site, honestly. I think I was looking for information of different countries and sort of wound up here.

Hmmm... I'm not sure whether to say there is pressure in Britain to be politically correct. I suppose I have to say there is, but at the same time, there is a great deal of resistance. It's not thought of as a great idea. Perhaps the worst places are schools. I recently learnt you can't say 'brainstorm' any more because it refers to epilepsy, you have to say 'mind-map'. Crazy.

However we do still sell golliwogs, so we really can't be that strict! As time goes on, I see the UK turning into more and more of a politically-correct country, but for now... it's not TOO bad, in my opinion.

Sorry for the essay!
dano
Freshman Poster

Post by dano »

Winston wrote:Hi BellaRuth,

Did you see David Tennant's last episode, The End of Time? I just saw it last night on YouTube and it was very exciting. Many say he was the best Doctor Who ever. It's too bad he quit. If you want to see it on YouTube, here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJaM_FtPHJU

It's nice to have a Brit on here. I haven't talked to one in a long time.

Don't mind the comment by FuzzX. I think he was just being sarcastic.

So I assume that you must be a very open minded nonjudgmental type. If so, I commend you for that. And I consider it an honor that you took interest to post here :)

How did you find this site?

Is there pressure in Britain to be politically correct too?

As I always say to those asking about different countries, there is no one culture for everyone. Everyone fits in differently and vibes differently and sees things differently and has a different chemistry. The only way for you to know if you'll like something is to try it out and follow your heart and gut instinct. Also watch for signs. When you vibe well somewhere, a lot of things will go your way, including luck and help from others.

I love the Baltics. Lithuania and Latvia were very fun and friendly and cheerful.

Many say Romania is a lot of fun too.

Couchsurfing people tend to be wonderful and open. They will not make a fuss about making your bed. They tend to be hippie types and not picky about those things. If you give it a try, you'll see. But of course, you have to be very open with strangers yourself.

Winston
Britain and Scandinavia are very expensive. In England it costs $20 US just for a quarter pounder meal at McDonalds and you have to pay extra for the ketchup packets. The only thing thats worth buying is clothes in London, Oxford St is good for shopping. I lived in England for 2 years and I've never been back, I didn't care for it. The weather is so depressing sometimes. People from the north are definately friendlier.
BellaRuth
Freshman Poster

Post by BellaRuth »

dano wrote: Britain and Scandinavia are very expensive. In England it costs $20 US just for a quarter pounder meal at McDonalds and you have to pay extra for the ketchup packets. The only thing thats worth buying is clothes in London, Oxford St is good for shopping. I lived in England for 2 years and I've never been back, I didn't care for it. The weather is so depressing sometimes. People from the north are definately friendlier.
I've never had to pay extra for ketchup at McDonalds. That's crazy. And a quarter-pounder meal for £13? You must have it wrong, it's just under £4, I'm sure. That's almost $6. I'm glad our McDonalds only uses free-range eggs/organic milk, though.

I agree about the weather. Makes everything so grey. I can't say I liked the north, however (only been to Sheffield so maybe can't comment)... it does have the reputation of having friendlier people, but I think that's mostly because it is more rural. In my opinion the South West is a very friendly place, perhaps due to the lack of big cities.

I'm going to London on Wednesday, looking forward to it. I love the Regent's Park area. It's a shame you have to pretty much be a millionaire to live in London. House prices are insane.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

BellaRuth wrote:
I've never had to pay extra for ketchup at McDonalds. That's crazy. And a quarter-pounder meal for £13? You must have it wrong, it's just under £4, I'm sure. That's almost $6. I'm glad our McDonalds only uses free-range eggs/organic milk, though.

I agree about the weather. Makes everything so grey. I can't say I liked the north, however (only been to Sheffield so maybe can't comment)... it does have the reputation of having friendlier people, but I think that's mostly because it is more rural. In my opinion the South West is a very friendly place, perhaps due to the lack of big cities.

I'm going to London on Wednesday, looking forward to it. I love the Regent's Park area. It's a shame you have to pretty much be a millionaire to live in London. House prices are insane.
I remember 15 years ago, the McDonalds near Baker St. Tube Station in London charged for extra packs of ketchup and suces, something like 50 pence each.

Here is short Wikipedia article about the Big Mac Index:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mac_Index
Enishi
Freshman Poster

Post by Enishi »

Welcome BellaRuth. :)

I've encountered several British women at the hospital where I work. They were quite polite and easy to get along with, compared to other nurses.
BellaRuth
Freshman Poster

Post by BellaRuth »

FuzzX wrote:only uses free-range eggs/organic milk, though.
here we go fellas. :lol:

I've never seen a western woman that didn't have an ulterior motive when joining a PUA/Men's forum. She's clearly not stupid guys, she's read the stuff and is here to stir up trouble. I'm sorry but honestly what could a woman possibly find interesting from a forum about rejecting first world women, meeting foreign girls and rebelling against the feminist state. Bella... I don't know what your game is but here's the question on everyone's mind.. why are you here?
I find it strange you're so suspicious of me (and still don't see the link to organic milk)!

I didn't realise this site had such a bias towards finding women abroad. I really want to move out of the UK and am trying to find out which country I should set my eyes on. I ended up here, thought it was about emigration in general, and decided to ask for advice; only afterwards did I properly start reading through. I'm not offended- I don't know what American women are like, am not concerned about what people think 'Western' women in general are like, and don't need to go into those posts anyway. Maybe materialism is corrupting us all, maybe that's the whole reason I want out.

I'm not really sure what on earth I would be here for, otherwise, even if I had joined to talk about women. What ulterior motive could I have? Promoting free-range eggs? I honestly don't get it.

At the end of the day I don't mind leaving if this is supposed to be a men's club, but there's a lot of people here who've been round Europe, and I still don't see any harm in asking their experiences. I might not be looking for a foreign wife, but the same things are relevant to me- I want nice people to hang around with, pretty countryside, a fairly simple, good life (this whole work to live not live to work thing, exactly what Winston was searching for). There's no big differences as far as I can see.
BellaRuth
Freshman Poster

Post by BellaRuth »

FuzzX wrote:ummm right.

well the best places for you are likely 1st world countries that promote equality 24/7... No doubt you will find a nice man to settle down with. What comes to mind: Canada, America, Spain, Australia, Scotland, Japan... Brazil is even starting to turn.
I'm not looking for a man, I have someone. And as I said, I am only interested in Europe, and more-or-less central Europe at that, and not particularly the rich countries. But you know this.

Really don't see the need for the sarcasm.

I don't mind just talking through PM with those who have been around Europe. I feel a bit out of my depth here now and might be best to just move on. A suggestion for a more appropriate forum would be useful.
Maybe you think I'm being harsh but I'm simply trying to contain the infection. You are 'westernized' whether you know it or not. UNLESS you are somehow a renegade Mennonite who tripped over a laptop that fell off a truck then yes, I'm suspicious.

I also find it suspicious that you managed to reply to my message instantaneously.
Sure, I'm Western. I don't think I ever claimed I wasn't. The most I did, I think, was try my best to compare UK/US women, when asked. But this is very uncomfortable.

I'm replying to your posts fast because I'm online, and I get notified in email. Again don't see why it is suspicious.

I think it's best if I stop replying. If anyone does want to give me a genuine account of any European country feel free to PM me.
Last edited by BellaRuth on May 30th, 2010, 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
FuzzX
Freshman Poster

Post by FuzzX »

I'm not being sarcastic.

South Africa also comes to mind. Europe is definitely a best fit for a western woman.

BTW Wu... I liked David Tennet but the constant allusion to gay and lesbian rights in every single episode started to grate on my nerves. I haven't seen a single reference to sex yet with the new guy... hopefully Captain Jack stays dead this time. The female side kicks since rose have been a little to 'strong' for the doctor and almost every supporting MALE character in the series is reduced to bumbling idiot status 'Mickey/amy rose's guy'... possibly cause the two series prior to the current were written by a gay man with an agenda to push. If you don't believe me check out the male leads in the classic doctor who episodes.
Last edited by FuzzX on May 30th, 2010, 11:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
Enishi
Freshman Poster

Post by Enishi »

I found this expatriation website just now:

http://www.transitionsabroad.com/listin ... tml#global
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

Bella, I hope you will reconsider leaving. Personally, I enjoyed reading your detailed descriptions about England, and I find it refreshing to find an open-minded woman on here. Some folks here can be a bit rabid, but not all of us are. Personally, I'm happily married, but enjoy coming on here for the "expat" info and to swap ideas. Not everyone is on here for the same reason, and not necessarily in order to just hunt women. I think this is a free-wheeling site, which allows freedom of speech and ideas (thanks to Winston), even if I don't agree with all of them. I take what I like and I leave the rest, with no hard feelings. To each their own. You will need to have a bit of thick skin on here, since it's rather opinionated, but I find that most forums are, regardless of the topic.

I have travelled pretty extensively, including Down Under and would be happy to share stories, tips, ideas with you on different places in Europe and elsewhere. Feel free to PM me, as you wish. I'm sure others will do the same.