European Union Proposes Indefinite Travel Ban on Americans

Discuss news and current events around the world.
Light
Freshman Poster

European Union Proposes Indefinite Travel Ban on Americans

Post by Light »

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/23/2130 ... draft-list

The European Union is considering an indefinite travel ban on Americans. This means your US Passport will get you to much less places. All of the Europe Union's 27 member nations will be ban Americans indefinitely.

I knew it was only a matter of time before there would be many nations banning Americans or the US Government banning Americans from traveling abroad, or both happening at once. I think that when the dollar collapses it will only add more to the travel bans. Canada and Mexico won't want American economic refugees crossing the border.

I think America is just at the beginning of a great decline that will continue to accelerate. The next ten years I think the United States will be a terrible nation where the illusions of wealth, freedom, and opportunity have vanished and there is only mass poverty, oppression, and mass despair. There will be a redo of the phrase American Dream in popular culture and it will be the American Nightmare.

Many nations will teach about America's rapid rise and more rapid fall, one of the fastest and most devastating in history, and people will blame America for destroying the world.

For the American members, I have some extra advice.

If you haven't left America and gotten a second passport, then I recommend you get a second passport if you want to live happy, free, healthy, with hope, and have a chance for a decent life and a real future. Otherwise you could find your passport revoked, or the US could refuse to renew it, or increase their passport costs like they did for expats wanting to renounce US citizenship and maybe require US exit visas. America is a dying empire and all dying empire's create more laws and restrictions to get more from their people anywhere they are and unlike other historical empires, America tracks you down worldwide.

Where would you go if mainland Europe, East Asia, Southeast Asia, the Philippines, North Africa, and the Middle East all ban Americans? Mexico and Canada might indefinitely close their borders to almost all Americans who are not diplomats or people conducting authorized trade. The worst place to be is the USA.

I have long believed in the idea of an invisible Berlin Wall that would be in America's future. I think we're almost at that point where Americans are trapped in America.

Then comes the famine that will starve most of the American population and the coronavirus might be defeated in most of the world but could linger in the United States for years and years, maybe even a decade, because the United States is too corrupt to do anything and too divided to have a common unified solution.

I think some users might have interesting comments about this article.

@Winston @jamesbond @hypermak @HappyGuy @yick @Contrarian Expatriate
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Re: European Union Proposes Indefinite Travel Ban on Americans

Post by hypermak »

Light wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 8:34 pm
https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/23/2130 ... draft-list

The European Union is considering an indefinite travel ban on Americans. This means your US Passport will get you to much less places. All of the Europe Union's 27 member nations will be ban Americans indefinitely.

I knew it was only a matter of time before there would be many nations banning Americans or the US Government banning Americans from traveling abroad, or both happening at once. I think that when the dollar collapses it will only add more to the travel bans. Canada and Mexico won't want American economic refugees crossing the border.

I think America is just at the beginning of a great decline that will continue to accelerate. The next ten years I think the United States will be a terrible nation where the illusions of wealth, freedom, and opportunity have vanished and there is only mass poverty, oppression, and mass despair. There will be a redo of the phrase American Dream in popular culture and it will be the American Nightmare.

Many nations will teach about America's rapid rise and more rapid fall, one of the fastest and most devastating in history, and people will blame America for destroying the world.

For the American members, I have some extra advice.

If you haven't left America and gotten a second passport, then I recommend you get a second passport if you want to live happy, free, healthy, with hope, and have a chance for a decent life and a real future. Otherwise you could find your passport revoked, or the US could refuse to renew it, or increase their passport costs like they did for expats wanting to renounce US citizenship and maybe require US exit visas. America is a dying empire and all dying empire's create more laws and restrictions to get more from their people anywhere they are and unlike other historical empires, America tracks you down worldwide.

Where would you go if mainland Europe, East Asia, Southeast Asia, the Philippines, North Africa, and the Middle East all ban Americans? Mexico and Canada might indefinitely close their borders to almost all Americans who are not diplomats or people conducting authorized trade. The worst place to be is the USA.

I have long believed in the idea of an invisible Berlin Wall that would be in America's future. I think we're almost at that point where Americans are trapped in America.

Then comes the famine that will starve most of the American population and the coronavirus might be defeated in most of the world but could linger in the United States for years and years, maybe even a decade, because the United States is too corrupt to do anything and too divided to have a common unified solution.

I think some users might have interesting comments about this article.

@Winston @jamesbond @hypermak @HappyGuy @yick @Contrarian Expatriate
I agree with you that there is a lot of anti-American sentiment right now and the world is not exactly at peace. I think that you're reading too much in that EU policy proposal, though. This is just a temporary ban based on medical reasons (Covid-19). Whether the ban is legit and based on facts, rather than collective panic and perhaps some dark agenda, we can all discuss.

It remains that it is 1) not only directed towards US citizens, but also Brazilian and Russian and 2) may well only be temporary.

That America hasn't been taking exactly all the right steps to please the world, that is sure. However, to think of an up and coming blanket, universal ban on American citizens is too much.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

There are so few EU countries that I visit when I am in Europe that I will barely feel this. But, keep in mind that this is more than likely political posturing than a legitimate proposal. Testing and quarantines would be smarter than banning hundreds of billions of annual tourist and expat revenue. So if it happens at all, it would surely be short-lived.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

They're banning countries who have had high rates of COVID-19 sufferers or deaths. I don't think it is anti-American but I know there is a plan in the pipeline for Americans to get an evisa before entering the EU but this is based on recipitory - EU citizens (and others...) have to get an evisa to enter the United States even in transit at the airport.

So, based on that, it might get harder for Americans to enter Europe. If you are capable of getting a second passport then it is always a good idea to get one if you can. I don't think (outside of this pandemic...) the Philippines of Latin America would ever close themselves off from US citizens but the EU is going to become a lot harder, maybe China as well - Trump is being a bit footloose on how he is treating his peers around the world.

And personally, I wouldn't accept a US passport if it was offered for free. I don't see how being liable for worldwide taxation is anything like a good deal.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

yick wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 9:23 pm
They're banning countries who have had high rates of COVID-19 sufferers or deaths. I don't think it is anti-American but I know there is a plan in the pipeline for Americans to get an evisa before entering the EU but this is based on recipitory - EU citizens (and others...) have to get an evisa to enter the United States even in transit at the airport.
Very interesting.... I was not aware of that requirement. I waltz into any EU country unannounced so I feel bad that we have that requirement for them.
yick wrote: So, based on that, it might get harder for Americans to enter Europe. If you are capable of getting a second passport then it is always a good idea to get one if you can. I don't think (outside of this pandemic...) the Philippines of Latin America would ever close themselves off from US citizens but the EU is going to become a lot harder, maybe China as well - Trump is being a bit footloose on how he is treating his peers around the world.
Official residency (temp or permanent) is a useful tool for this purpose also. The silver lining would be less Americans to encounter while abroad. I spend my time in Europe to be away from them anyhow.
yick wrote: And personally, I wouldn't accept a US passport if it was offered for free. I don't see how being liable for worldwide taxation is anything like a good deal.
My ultimate goal is to eventually renounce my US citizenship and just stay here as a tourist when that time comes. It is just so overrated now (as well as EU citizenship).
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

yick wrote:
The online (electronic) Visa application has always been a requirement for EU citizen to enter the US, even before the Covid. Perhaps the EU is introducing is as a precautionary measure, but doubt it will last more than a year. That is, if it gets implemented at all.
yick wrote:
So, based on that, it might get harder for Americans to enter Europe. If you are capable of getting a second passport then it is always a good idea to get one if you can. I don't think (outside of this pandemic...) the Philippines of Latin America would ever close themselves off from US citizens but the EU is going to become a lot harder, maybe China as well - Trump is being a bit footloose on how he is treating his peers around the world.

And personally, I wouldn't accept a US passport if it was offered for free. I don't see how being liable for worldwide taxation is anything like a good deal.
The situation is awful, TBH. I still don't think you should consider that as a proof that US citizens are no longer welcome worldwide.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 11:28 pm
yick wrote:
Very interesting.... I was not aware of that requirement. I waltz into any EU country unannounced so I feel bad that we have that requirement for them.
yick wrote: So, based on that, it might get harder for Americans to enter Europe. If you are capable of getting a second passport then it is always a good idea to get one if you can. I don't think (outside of this pandemic...) the Philippines of Latin America would ever close themselves off from US citizens but the EU is going to become a lot harder, maybe China as well - Trump is being a bit footloose on how he is treating his peers around the world.
Official residency (temp or permanent) is a useful tool for this purpose also. The silver lining would be less Americans to encounter while abroad. I spend my time in Europe to be away from them anyhow.
yick wrote: And personally, I wouldn't accept a US passport if it was offered for free. I don't see how being liable for worldwide taxation is anything like a good deal.
My ultimate goal is to eventually renounce my US citizenship and just stay here as a tourist when that time comes. It is just so overrated now (as well as EU citizenship).
Yep, it has been on the cards for awhile to make it reciprocal for Americans to get an online visa to visit the EU.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

hypermak wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 11:57 pm
yick wrote:
The online (electronic) Visa application has always been a requirement for EU citizen to enter the US, even before the Covid. Perhaps the EU is introducing is as a precautionary measure, but doubt it will last more than a year. That is, if it gets implemented at all.
yick wrote:

The situation is awful, TBH. I still don't think you should consider that as a proof that US citizens are no longer welcome worldwide.
More and more countries are making US citizens go through the same hoops they put the citizens of other countries
when visiting the United States, when Brazil charged Americans something like 250 dollars for a visa, thats because that is what the United States charged Brazilian citizens to enter the United States.

As for the Americans making Europeans get an online/actual visa to enter the US before COVID-19 - yes, I knew that already.