Would we be us or would we be a copy? What about the soul?

Discuss deep philosophical topics and questions.
Light
Freshman Poster

Would we be us or would we be a copy? What about the soul?

Post by Light »

Some TV shows I have watched like Altered Carbon and CW's the 100 have a microchip or a technology that backups your memories and consciousness and then you can be resurrected in a new body. In the show Travelers, they have a technology to take your consciousness and send it into a new body, overwriting an existing consciousness.

My question is, if we could obtain immortality through technology, would we be us or would we be a copy? If we died, but we had a technology implant that backed us up, and then we were brought back in a new body, then would it be us or would it be a copy?

Would we be in heaven but a copy of us exist on Earth? What about the soul? Would both us and our copy have a soul? What if its not a copy but a new version, since if we're dead in and in the afterlife, then that new version would create new memories and new experiences and diverge from us. A new body would give different experiences like different tastes, maybe different talents, maybe taller, different hair color, different eye color, different gender, and different genes. So it wouldn't be us but the memories would make it us. That then leaves us to question what is the self?

We are essentially our past, our desires, and the culmination of all our life experiences. If someone got amnesia and would never recover their memory, then would they be a new person?

To then take the opposite side, what if there is no afterlife? Then the copy would be us because the original us would be gone, nothing, and that means the copy is us because there is no original if the original us isn't sent to an afterlife.

What do you think? I wasn't sure whether to post this but I thought it might be interesting. It's something I have been thinking about off and on since last summer.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Would we be us or would we be a copy? What about the soul?

Post by Winston »

Check out this series called Closer to Truth. It has some videos about consciousness that address your question. Each video is under 30 min and is very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... sciousness

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Neo
Junior Poster

Re: Would we be us or would we be a copy? What about the soul?

Post by Neo »

Light wrote:
June 19th, 2020, 9:20 pm
Some TV shows I have watched like Altered Carbon and CW's the 100 have a microchip or a technology that backups your memories and consciousness and then you can be resurrected in a new body. In the show Travelers, they have a technology to take your consciousness and send it into a new body, overwriting an existing consciousness.

My question is, if we could obtain immortality through technology, would we be us or would we be a copy? If we died, but we had a technology implant that backed us up, and then we were brought back in a new body, then would it be us or would it be a copy?

Your answer is in Ecclesiastes 8:8 .
Prudence is the knowledge of things to be sought, and those to be shunned.