Is US culture responsible for obesity?

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

The US is completely to blame for obesity.

1. Most foods have additives in them, that make you eat more and kill your thyroid.
2. The drinking water contains chemicals that kill your thyroid.
3. Depression and other triggers, usually by TV or other electronics, cause americans to start eating.
4. Most food in america has sugar, or other ingredients that breed bugs, worms and fungus, like Candida Albicans. These invaders wreak havoc on the human body. One symptom is extreme cravings for sugar(or what the invaders want to eat).
5. Americans don't supplement missing minerals and nutrients, so they never regain their weight regulation ability.

Your thyroid is what regulates your weight. If you want to lose weight, supplement with some sea kelp. Don't ever drink tap water water again. Only filter your water, or drink distilled water. Then exercise by walking a total of at least 5 miles a week. You'll lose 15 pounds minimum every month. You can lose much more, depending on how extreme your regimen is. I lost 60 pounds this year alone and a total of 140 pounds within the past 2 years, but I walk 30 miles a month and overdose on sea kelp. :D

You can also eat whatever the hell you want. While what you eat has diverse effects on the body, you'll still lose weight on your own - they have little influence over whether you get fat or not. :)
fightforlove
Junior Poster

Post by fightforlove »

momopi wrote:It's the size of the servings.

In Asia a bowl of noodles is about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the size of the bowl in the US.

Same beef noodles, but because you're in America, you're expected to eat twice as much.

My cooking instructor said to us, that good food takes time to prepare and should be savored slowly in your mouth (chew not swallow). If you swallow your food, then all the prepration and spices go to waste.

Eat good quality food in smaller servings and enjoy life.
This is definitely part of the reason for obesity in America. Portions in many American restaurants are so big, people eat multiple courses in multiple servings (bread, soup, salad, entree, dessert,...). I hate going into restaurants and bars and having them give me this ginormous piece of fish or beef with servings of mashed potatoes and veggies that could feed a family of 4.
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

fightforlove wrote:This is definitely part of the reason for obesity in America. Portions in many American restaurants are so big, people eat multiple courses in multiple servings (bread, soup, salad, entree, dessert,...). I hate going into restaurants and bars and having them give me this ginormous piece of fish or beef with servings of
mashed potatoes and veggies that could feed a family of 4.
Man, where do YOU go to eat? I need to go there! Those people must realize the appetites of lumberjacks are serious business. :)
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

Winston wrote:Momopi,
When I eat less and start losing weight, like I'm doing now, I suddenly get strong hunger pains for snacks. It's hard to not think about food at that point and eating more.

What can I do about that? Any suggestions?

I've been trying to lose my belly since 1991!
Healthy snacks are Almonds, peanuts, chickpeas, FRUITS, cucumber slices, Vegetable juices sweetened with fruit, carrots, seeds like pumkin seeds, sunflowers seeds are nice to snack on. Don't eat less, eat more of what you like that's healthy.

> No processed foods from cans or any food that sits on a shelf for months & doesn't go bad & survives armagedon
> If you don't buy it then you won't eat it. No potato chips bad snacks etc.
> Start cooking whole foods ... vegetables, meat, grains, rice, peas, beans, herbs, spices, salads, I learned to cook lots of stuff from youtube vids & online sites for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, desserts etc.
> Buy a juicer & juice vegetables & add fruits to sweeten, this will detox you & you will loose weight too; 1 cucumber, 1 carrot, 1 apple ... the combinations are infinite. It's yummy!
> No sweets, sugar, alcohol, smoking, beers etc.

A Vegetable juice fast may do you well. I keep my weight & health in check with frequent juice fasts. It's like making & having V8 juices all the time for 1 or 2 weeks.

The sudden strong hunger pains you get for snacks are cravings ... once you start eating better it will stop. Your tastebuds need to change it's habits.
When we get cravings our bodies are actually letting us know that we are vitamin & mineral deficient. It is a symptom often confused with hunger. It needs fuel but your mind is accustomed to snacks which temperorarily satifies the hunger & your body is left in the learch with no nutrients. Salt, sugar, caffine, alcohol & tobacco cause addiction and tend to replace nutrient foods easily in our daily lives.
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

If anything in this world I can call me self educated on, it's nutrition exercise and diet.

Most of you have said already what the problem is most of all.

GMO, chemicles in are food, chemicals in are water, too many unrestricted drugs who are sisterd with fast food companies to make cause and effect, we make you sic, but no worry, we have the cure for the toxic food we just poisoned you with.

Now your over weight, emotionally alterd and have allergies to about a billion foods that normal people in other countries are fine with.

Calories do count, but not by by themselves if you don't count your micro nutrition counting calories wont help you as much or at all depending on how unbalanced your macros are.

If you consume carbs "no they aren't bad, when you don't need them, your body is going to be incline to do one of two things depending on the type of carb you eat, it'll spike your blood sugar more or less depending on the source "bread, sugar, fruit, veggies" and that's perfectly fine, it will provide you with energy, however, you don't need much of that energy, especially the fruit/sugar/flower carbs, if you aren't doing any physical activity. "how many should I eat then?" well you can't ask that question, because it's based on your activity level, life style, exercise routine and age, even body type comes in to play.

Protein, yeah we all heard how healthy it is we're sick of hearing about it, well, you need protein to heal muscle and vital tissue in your body, it provides amino acids that heal your organs muscle and vital tissues.

Fat, is another source of energy, fantastic for boosting testosterone, you want to avoid saturated fats, but not completely just make sure your diets fats aren't souly coming from saturated fats, healthy fats you can get from coconut oil, avocados, hummis, penuts, walnuts ect, oh and if you eat burgers and home boys, get 9&% lean beef...trust me it's just as good and healthy.

So, after all that, I will say this from personal experience that to me has proven how devastatingly horrible are food for us in america is.

A lot of you know I used to be 300 lbs, I worked my ass off with calorie defect exercise and learning how to control my nutrition, I could be a personal trainer and nutritionist and I've gotta say, after staying in china.....and eating whatever the hell I wanted the last month, I mean stuffing my face..noodles, hot pot...all of it, dumplings...even sugar glazed meats sometimes....I hardly gained any weight at all....and trust me, I know I should have, I was exercising a lot yes...but anyone who knows anything about exercise will tell you, you can't exercise a crappy diet off.

So the conclusion is, the NON-GMO and NON-TOXIC food in china that was unhealthy and defiantly not in my diet hardly harmed me at ALL....and I always felt good and full of energy, but keep in mind, I work out 3 to 5 times a week, as "crazy" as that sounds to a lot of you, that still wouldn't allow you to eat whatever you wanted if you think your going to stay lean with a six pack. I'm speaking strictly from a stay thin and attractive, but not ripped point of view, I honestly like looking above average so I get fanatical about it .

Yet while I'm here in america watching my diet like a hawk for my return to china "cut down to about 8% body fat or less, calipers arn't the most accurate " I've been having a hard time while eating pure foods, and I suspect the "pure" foods here in america are so full of toxic chemicals that I'd probably have cut down in half the time if it wasn't for that.

I actually want to post my before and after pictures on this site, but I fear someone will steal my photos and use them for some kind of advertisement, I plan on using them to promote my self if I ever become a personal trainer.

If any of you are serous about getting in shape and want advice from a man who's literally learned the hard way, drop me a line, but only do so if your ready to change, no easy way exists to change ones life style or physical body.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on January 13th, 2020, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winston
Site Admin

Re:

Post by Winston »

momopi wrote:It's the size of the servings.

In Asia a bowl of noodles is about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the size of the bowl in the US.

Same beef noodles, but because you're in America, you're expected to eat twice as much.

My cooking instructor said to us, that good food takes time to prepare and should be savored slowly in your mouth (chew not swallow). If you swallow your food, then all the prepration and spices go to waste.

Eat good quality food in smaller servings and enjoy life.
Sorry Momopi. Food portions may be smaller in Taiwan and Japan and Philippines, but not in China, which comprises a lot bigger portion of Asia. In China, very often food portions in restaurants are even BIGGER than in the US. I eat a lot and even I can't finish my meals much of the time in China. If you don't believe me, ask Ethan_sg, Zboy1 or Bao3niang. They can confirm it. Or you can see the food photos from my China photo albums here:

http://happierabroad.shutterfly.com/pictures/5

So momopi, how do you explain that? I mean, Chinese tend to be a lot thinner than Americans, yet their restaurant food portions are often larger than in American restaurants. So how does your explanation account for that?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Re:

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote: Sorry Momopi. Food portions may be smaller in Taiwan and Japan and Philippines, but not in China, which comprises a lot bigger portion of Asia. In China, very often food portions in restaurants are even BIGGER than in the US. I eat a lot and even I can't finish my meals much of the time in China. If you don't believe me, ask Ethan_sg, Zboy1 or Bao3niang. They can confirm it. Or you can see the food photos from my China photo albums here:
So momopi, how do you explain that? I mean, Chinese tend to be a lot thinner than Americans, yet their restaurant food portions are often larger than in American restaurants. So how does your explanation account for that?

Stick around longer, you'll see more fat people:

http://www.china.org.cn/china/2012-09/1 ... 521029.htm

With living standards improving substantially, the Chinese people have seen their waistlines expanding rapidly over the past several decades, only to pose serious threats to their health and increase the burden on China's healthcare system.
Recent statistics have showed that the average waistline of Chinese urban males has gone from 63.5 cm in 1985 to 76.2 cm in 2012, growing by 20 percent over just 27 years. Among them, those aged between 40 and 50 have an average waistline of 86.2 cm.
Protruding bellies and round people of any age are now a common sight in many Chinese cities. As early as 2002, statistics showed that China had 200 million overweight people, 60 million of whom were obese. The Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention said that from 1992 to 2002, China's overweight rate went up by nearly 40 percent and its obesity rate almost doubled.

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2014 ... americans/

China’s getting fatter and it’s weighing down the future of its children.
The country is now No. 2 for obesity, with its number of obese residents outstripped only by the U.S. Its obesity rate has skyrocketed over the last three decades, resulting in 46 million obese Chinese adults and 300 million who are overweight, according to a study by the University of Washington’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation.
Published in the medical journal The Lancet, the study analyzed weight trends in 188 countries and found that more than 28% of Chinese adult men and 27% of the country’s adult women are overweight or obese.
The study defined overweight as having a weight-to-height ratio, or Body Mass Index, that is equal to or greater than 25. Obesity was defined as having a BMI of 30 or greater.
Even the country’s armed forces have been getting fatter, with the People’s Liberation Army facing challenges as its soldiers have begun to have trouble fitting into traditionally-sized tanks.
Pitted against the U.S., China’s still looking skinny, the report said, noting that the U.S. accounts for 13% of the world’s obesity, while China and India together represent 15%. There are three times as many obese or overweight men in the U.S. than in China and twice as many obese or overweight women in the U.S., it said. More than half of the world’s 671 million obese people live in 10 countries, the study said.

And no, I did not find food portions in Beijing and Tianjin to be larger than American serving sizes (cough), unless if you ordered 2 kg of dumplings or a German sausage double patty burger at McD. I have seen guys order and consume an entire bucket of KFC chicken in Beijing.

Meanwhile in America, Jack in the Box late night snack box: (1600-1700 calories)

(Limited time avail German sausage double patty burger from couple years back):

onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Re: Is US culture responsible for obesity?

Post by onethousandknives »

I believe as far as the "American lifestyle" goes, that a big problem is things like GMOs, hormone and medicines being in meat and dairy products here, and also people's medication usage. If a woman goes on birth control pills for example, quite often they end up in the next weight class, so to speak, ie, will gain 20-30lbs in a month or so easily. Then things like SSRIs and other psychiatric drugs, even beta blockers (make it so you burn less calories as there's now less catecholamines, can't work up to a high intensity with exercise) for blood pressure, then cortisone related drugs being used longterm for various things when better options generally exist. With my mother when she was taking prednisone she ballooned to 300lbs, and basically by only stopping the medication and not even dieting got to 220. So my feeling is a lot of the REALLY fat people in USA (like over 220lbs in the 5 foot something range) if you really quiz them you'll find some type of medication use history and this may propel them from more overweight or borderline obese to huge, and this is especially the case in women due to how overmedicated they are both for hormonal birth control and their various psychiatric drugs they take at a higher rate than men.

As far as other stuff, I believe the other big reason is just a lack of cooking at home, and a lack of proper meals? I find the strangest thing in America, is if people are at a public gathering or banquet, or eating at someone's house, they'll eat dainty little portions. Same with any meals. Their meals are dainty little things. So they'll have a dainty meal and think "hmm, this meal was so small, I don't eat very much!" and then later as they're watching TV, will kill off a whole box of cookies or a bag of chips which may have had 2-3x the calories as their meal. So I feel it's almost like they try to avoid eating a lot because that would make them feel like a glutton, but then they eat snacks which don't "feel" like they're eating a lot and create a short circuit in the brain so to speak? For example, you can have 6-7 potatoes and it would be 700 calories. Or you could have a bowl of potato chips. What will fill you up more? So people do not realize this.

It's a simple fact many Americans simply do not even have meals at all anymore. Especially in divorced households. The mother may not cook at all and may just buy only frozen food and snacks tell the children to microwave something if they're hungry.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Good ideas. I think a lot of it has to do with the quality of food (by the way: the food pyramid has something to do with- the proportions, I mean).
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Momopi,
Come on now. We all know that fast food advertisements show images of food that make them LARGER and BETTER than they actually are. Everyone knows that. Even you do. Who you trying to fool? lol. Yourself?

I'm talking about restaurant meals. Especially in Chinese restaurants. The ones in China often serve larger portions than in America. Trust me, I eat out all the time so I'm more qualified to know than you are. So are Ethan_sg and Zboy1. Ask them. And see proof in my photo albums:

Even the Mexican restaurant we went to in Shenzhen served larger portions than in America. I was amazed and took photos as proof.

Still waiting for your explanation Momopi. Saying "China is getting fatter" doesn't answer the question.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

Come on now. We all know that fast food advertisements show images of food that make them LARGER and BETTER than they actually are. Everyone knows that. Even you do. Who you trying to fool? lol. Yourself?

I'm talking about restaurant meals. Especially in Chinese restaurants. The ones in China often serve larger portions than in America. Trust me, I eat out all the time so I'm more qualified to know than you are. So are Ethan_sg and Zboy1. Ask them. And see proof in my photo albums:

Even the Mexican restaurant we went to in Shenzhen served larger portions than in America. I was amazed and took photos as proof.

Still waiting for your explanation Momopi. Saying "China is getting fatter" doesn't answer the question.
I pretty much answered this. In America people are afraid to eat at their actual meals and eat a dainty little tiny meal so to not appear a glutton and then later eat a whole box of cookies or whole bag of chips with more calories than all the food on the plates there.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

The question has already been answered. The great leap toward fatness is currently in progress.

Last edited by momopi on October 22nd, 2015, 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

The obesity epidemic in America is approaching ridiculous portions. Now a days, you don't see many women who can fit into a Halloween costume like this one! :D

"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Mercury
Junior Poster

Re:

Post by Mercury »

Winston wrote:
December 27th, 2009, 10:11 am
As someone here said, there's toxic chemicals in the food that makes one feel tense and angry, messing up their emotions and mind.
Like drinking the Blood of Kali-Ma in the 1984 movie "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Fa8lgxHmA

Also reminds me of Mario's quote in the 1993 movie Super Mario Bros; "Hey, if we're gonna eat in this place, we're gonna have to be very, very hungry."