China's Unfireable English Teachers

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Young foreign men like to use China as their playground, its one of the reasons English teachers don't get a lot of respect from locals.

http://diaspora.chinasmack.com/2011/fea ... chers.html
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Geez, I ought to be a shoo-in for an English teaching job. Not only am I a natvive speaker, but I'm mature and have years of teaching experience (albeit in Math).
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 14th, 2020, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

And if you work with a recruiter--they will just find you another job in another city, if you don't like your present situation or the school wants another teacher. Unless you a complete douchebag, druggie loser, rapist/child molestor--you will find plenty of work in Asia.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Hero wrote:
Geez, I ought to be a shoo-in for an English teaching job. Not only am I a natvive speaker, but I'm mature and have years of teaching experience (albeit in Math).
Credentialed experienced teacher in math should be able to get a good gig in the Emirates or Oman, $4000 a month plus housing I think.

Yeah, I know, no available hot girls there, blah blah blah... but the bankroll could change a man's life.

And airlines from Dubai fly everywhere.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

oh YEAH a GREAT thread here.......

we can DO THIS!

:)
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Jester wrote:
Hero wrote:
Credentialed experienced teacher in math should be able to get a good gig in the Emirates or Oman, $4000 a month plus housing I think.

Yeah, I know, no available hot girls there, blah blah blah... but the bankroll could change a man's life.

And airlines from Dubai fly everywhere.
What kind of credentials? I have a Ph.D. and years of experience teaching college students, is that enough?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Hero wrote:What kind of credentials? I have a Ph.D. and years of experience teaching college students, is that enough?
That should do it.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Cornfed wrote:
Hero wrote:What kind of credentials? I have a Ph.D. and years of experience teaching college students, is that enough?
That should do it.
Sweeet! :mrgreen:
travelsouth
Freshman Poster

Post by travelsouth »

Guys you all really need to do your homework on this. From what I've seen most china teaching jobs are realistically 1k to 2k a month (unless you have a teaching degree and those international schools will pay a bit more). In South Korea I think it starts at around $2200 to $2500 and around the same with Japan.

This is only a job for some guy in his 20s in a bad economy that needs something to do. There is no promotion, retirement plan, quality healthcare etc. And even if you make 24k a year that is shit long term.

I got no issues with guys that take $10 or $12 an hour jobs on elance so they can go get laid in Thailand. Heck on rare occasion there are even online customer service management and screen jobs that pay $15 or $16. But to think you can earn a real living and save for retirement doing this is just not true.
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

travelsouth wrote:Guys you all really need to do your homework on this. From what I've seen most china teaching jobs are realistically 1k to 2k a month (unless you have a teaching degree and those international schools will pay a bit more). In South Korea I think it starts at around $2200 to $2500 and around the same with Japan.

This is only a job for some guy in his 20s in a bad economy that needs something to do. There is no promotion, retirement plan, quality healthcare etc. And even if you make 24k a year that is shit long term.

I got no issues with guys that take $10 or $12 an hour jobs on elance so they can go get laid in Thailand. Heck on rare occasion there are even online customer service management and screen jobs that pay $15 or $16. But to think you can earn a real living and save for retirement doing this is just not true.
This is all true and some MAY not take this into account. However, lets focus on your last sentence. Retirement is going to be a rare thing in the USA (and other Western countries) in the near future. They are unsustainable and have been for a long time. 401K's, Pensions, Social Security, etc are all going away. So are unemployment benefits/welfare. In the future, retirement (and likely survival) will depend on what you have in your possession that you are able to hold on to. While I don't recommend guys give up a $100K+ job to move abroad to make $12K-$20K, those who have mediocre jobs in the USA could benefit by moving abroad. For those guys that already are retired, they benefit by being able to live off of less abroad. Health Care is now a REAL problem in the USA and just that one thing alone could make moving abroad a good choice.
travelsouth
Freshman Poster

Post by travelsouth »

tre wrote:
Retirement is going to be a rare thing in the USA (and other Western countries) in the near future. They are unsustainable and have been for a long time. 401K's, Pensions, Social Security, etc are all going away. So are unemployment benefits/welfare. In the future, retirement (and likely survival) will depend on what you have in your possession that you are able to hold on to. While I don't recommend guys give up a $100K+ job to move abroad to make $12K-$20K, those who have mediocre jobs in the USA could benefit by moving abroad. For those guys that already are retired, they benefit by being able to live off of less abroad. Health Care is now a REAL problem in the USA and just that one thing alone could make moving abroad a good choice.
I'm not going to get into the politics of social security but it is more stable than people realize. Before my grandfathers generation life was very hard for almost all. Retirement in the 80s (then 90s and 2000s before his death) was good for him. Those that retired after him did get less benefits. But I think we ought to think back before his generation and be honest about it.

The fact of the matter is that being a technical recruiter is one of the hardest jobs to do because there are a couple million jobs in the USA that aren't getting filled because there isn't the qualified labor to do it. So let's be real about that. For a guy that wants to learn and work there is money out there for him. Then he can bring back the wholesome girl from overseas.
Mr Natural
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr Natural »

travelsouth wrote: Then he can bring back the wholesome girl from overseas.
Why would you want to bring her back to the states? So she can gradually become like an American woman? Perhaps you should think this out a little.....
Everybody has a plan til they get punched in the mouth
Mike Tyson
travelsouth
Freshman Poster

Post by travelsouth »

Mr Natural wrote:
travelsouth wrote: Then he can bring back the wholesome girl from overseas.
Why would you want to bring her back to the states? So she can gradually become like an American woman? Perhaps you should think this out a little.....
There is no perfect solution or perfect woman. If you are looking for that well good luck. For almost all of us the money is in the States and the women are overseas. The best answer for most of us is to wait until we are older (have fun and party until then) and then settle down in our 30s.

I am 30 and looking, and I agree the teenagers and young women will get Americanized. But the women with graduate degrees and careers overseas are pretty much who they are. They'll assimilate just like you would if you moved overseas. That is the best option for most men looking to make some money and eventually retire.
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

I think you are correct about focusing on qualifying yourself if you are 15-25 years old. There is time to qualify yourself and find your niche. No need to jump ship until you have qualifications that can help get a better life...no matter where you choose to reside. However, what about those guys here that are past 35 or even past 40 and 50 and making very little in the states? They aren't likely to ever make $80K+ if they aren't making it now. For those men, I can't see any benefit of staying in the toxic environment of the USA when they can live on less, have better medical insurance, and make the same amount of $$ abroad than what they do in the USA. Even if they made slightly less, they'd actually be able to save more if living abroad. That is why so many teachers have moved abroad instead of sticking around to teach in the USA. They can actually pay off their loans much faster this way.

I don't agree with you on Social Security and IMO one can't compare the seriousness of the economic situation in the USA now to anytime previous. NOTHING is stable in the USA economy. I can't see how anyone sees stability anywhere here. We can agree to disagree on that as time will show us (quite soon IMO) the reality of that.

You are only 30 and it sounds like you are doing quite well here. It makes sense for you to stay here, establish and grow your career. You could potentially go abroad, date a 19-25 year old, attractive women and bring her back with success. She may be fine and happy here with you. HOWEVER, things are different for a 40 or 50 year old going abroad to get that same 19-25 year old women. If that older man wants to keep his woman, he'd better NEVER bring them back to the USA. The chances are MUCH greater that he will lose her....