Cambodia pros and cons

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Cambodia pros and cons

Post by ladislav »

Been here close to one year and here's my down and dirty:

Cambodia pros:

Easy one year visas for retirees( 55 plus). About $300 a year. Multiple entry. No need to leave the country to renew and you can do so ad infinitum. No need to go to the Immigration, either- just drop your passport at a travel agent. Other extensions for non-retirees are also easy. 6 months is common. Done easily thru a travel agent.

Low cost of living. Rents from $100-500 a month. Laundry $1.50 per kilo pressed. Average street meal $2-3

Tuk-tuks across town $1-5. Very easy public transportation.

Low levels of bureaucracy. Easy licenses, permits, etc

You can always find supplementary jobs teaching English. Some $1000 a month average.

All food is edible and quite good. Not as good as Thai but still tasty. Lots of delicious drinks and juices.

Elegant ancient culture with beautiful temples and Buddhist, colonial and modern architecture. Beautiful scenery and urban layouts. Good overall infrastructure.

Low population density, hence, little traffic, no large throngs of people.

Minimum levels of cheating, swindling, " no change", overcharging, etc. Low violent crime levels.

Low noise, air and trash pollution.

Pretty good nightlife with hostess bars, but the ladies cannot speak English for the most part.

A huge expat community with activities and food from all corners of the world.

Low xenophobia and/or racism against Western people.

Private, polite, cultured, quiet, elegant and well behaved people. Not much arrogance or puffed up chests. They leave you alone. Not much class snobbery.

Good and cheap Internet. $6 a month

Phnom Penh is compact and rather small. Can be crossed in less than an hour.

Cons:

Very little English beyond what is necessary for a commercial transaction. Khmer is very hard to learn. If you speak only English, you will have very hard time everywhere if you wish to socialize more.

Not a very good place for romance as the locals are very conservative ala India or an Arab country. Not much dating unless you want to marry. Foreigners who make less than $2,500 a month cannot get married. And marriage ceremonies are very expensive especially for foreigners.

Much less tolerance for age differences in relationship.

The culture is not much into romance, sensuality or friendships. A very practical way of life. Plus, most Khmers do not like to speak to strangers, are reserved, and mindful of own privacy. It's the French influence, I suppose.

Good, well paying (non ESL) jobs are hard to find if you come to work.

Very hot most of the year. As in very. Many establishments don't have A/C. You often eat in the heat, get a haircut in the heat and shop in the heat.

Not easy to make friends with the locals because they are very busy and have almost zero time for you.

Sihanoukville is full of Chinese who often do not even let Westerners into their establishments. They are leaving now, but they made the place unpleasant with frequent crime and racism against non Chinese.

Conclusion:

Cambodia is an acquired taste. You need to come and see how it agrees with you. But it's a very good location to lay one's head and establish a base in SE Asia. Get an apartment to keep one's things in, and to have somewhere to come back to.

If you are a single person, and you like a private, peaceful country where you can be yourself in a quiet way, this is it.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Mr Natural
Freshman Poster

Re: Cambodia pros and cons

Post by Mr Natural »

An excellent post Ladislov, you should put stuff like this on your blog. Which you don't appear to be involved with for a long time.
Anyway, I've been to Cambodia numerous times but they were all a long time ago. I keep hearing it's quite different these days. Would be very curious about how you compare 2020 Cambodia with the Philippines or Thailand.
Everybody has a plan til they get punched in the mouth
Mike Tyson
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Cambodia pros and cons

Post by Winston »

Ladislavs comparison of cambodians with filipinos:

Khmer vs Pinoys ( general observations)

In Cambodia, almost all people seem to have some money on them. They open up wallets and you can see bill after bill of dollars. Everybody's phone is loaded. Drivers do not ask for tips. When you give one, they stare at it like WTF!

In the Philippines, it seems that money is always stretched out to the limit and spent. Very often," no load". And a tip is almost always expected by drivers esp if you are a foreigner.

Thailand is kind of similar to the Philippines in that respect.

Rocks opinion:

Hey Ladislav. I didn't really pay attention to how much money Khmers seemed to have or not have. But I sure appreciated their efficiency and elegance. I just wish they would have a campaign to clean the garbage off the streets of the capital they way they so successfully did in Kigali, Rwanda (you can Google it). As for Thailand, the impression I got, especially before the new military government stepped in, was that people tend to awash with cash. There was money being made left right and center and the provincial cities, even in Issan, really moved up quickly in terms of quality of life. Bangkok has the most luxurious mall I've ever seen anywhere in my life - Icon Siam. And there are quite a few other tier 1 malls, 2 of which have built branches in Pattaya. For me, Thailand is a rags to riches story and the middle class exploded under Thaksin. Unfortunately, with the new military government and recently COVID-19, times are a bit tougher now. But I will say that based on what I saw over the long-haul in Thailand, I am confident that Cambodia has a bright economic future ahead. I also respect the resolve of local people there to avoid the slut Tinder dating culture which is so big in neighboring Thailand. I've been getting messages from a couple of the girls I knew there. Another one, I found out during my last trip (Winston and Jeff met her) got badly mangled in a motorbike accident and had to be sent to Ho Chih Minh City for medical care. I know there is xenophobia there in Indochina but the people are still lovely and I miss it. On the other hand, the stories continually shared by Mr. S on our Viber group ring true. Philippines has become extraordinarily dysfunctional or perhaps it always was that way. There were some good growth years there for the economy. But it's still a mighty mess and life there looks so surreal, like people are existing in a super low frequency vibe of sorts if that makes any sense.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne