Happier in Asia!

What's your story? Discussions your reasons for going abroad.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Happier in Asia!

Post by zboy1 »

I can honestly say...that living overseas was one of the best decisions I ever made in my life! And, especially, living in China (and in the future, in other parts of Asia)--and away from the U.S. (and other Anglosphere countries), I feel much more alive and free than I ever did back home.

Even with all the problems in this region, I will never willingly head back to the U.S. ever again on a permanent basis!

I like being in Asia because I get to travel to many different countries in the region, each with its own unique history and culture. This upcoming winter break, I will be going to Hong Kong with my girlfriend, to spend some nights in the city. I may also plan on going to the Philippines as well. ...

I like the economic dynamism in the Asian region, and I also like the employment opportunities available here. I don't feel as positive or optimistic about the U.S., unfortunately.

I don't like the negativity of Americans and the constant drumbeat of bad news out of America; you can see this manifested in the HA forum--especially those who choose to stay (out of patriotism or buying into the "American Dream" Myth) or those that are stuck in the United States. We, Americans, are such a quarrelsome people--it's no wonder the country is splitting apart racially, ethnically, politically and religiously--I see no hope for the United States in the future. ...

As for those people that want out of the Anglosphere, there are many regions in the world (besides Asia) that you could be happy in, such as Latin America, Eastern/Western Europe or even in Africa.

My advice to those that are still on the wire about moving abroad, I suggest you take the plunge because you will be much happier that you did (for most people that is...).
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 13th, 2020, 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Yeah Ghost, it's worth travelling around. Bangkok is awesome, maybe the best city to live in Asia if you're a foreigner. Also check out Malaysia as it could be a good place to find a job.

I kind of half expect that I'll end up finding a job out in Asia somewhere and stay here long time.

Next stop on my Asia travels is likely to be Vietnam, partly due to the convenience of flying there from my local airport (and good fares as well!).

Japan is also worth checking out right now as my theory is it's easy to find free accommodation if you teach a family English. Plus many nationalities can get a 90 day visa on arrival.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Post by Bao3niang »

I am looking forward to living/dating in Asia in my own HA future, although I lack the resources now and am basically trapped in Beijing. Vietnam will be my 1st destination.

Just looking at the movie theaters in China, you have a better selection of films. I've seen a lot of big Western movies play here that are out earlier than in North America. Secondly, when you get popcorn and drinks, you just buy directly using cash. Even if you are not going to watch a movie you can still buy food from there. On the other hand, they give you a coupon in Canada/the US and you have to WAIT to get the food.

Not to mention the pre-show ads in Canadian movie theaters are painfully long. Only good thing about going to a movie in Canada is that you are not assigned a seat before the movie starts. However, even in China, you don't have to sit in your assigned seat as long as there are enough empty ones.

More Things I Hate About Canada Now That I've Been In Asia for a Couple of Years:

1) You have to calculate taxes, whereas in China the taxes are already included in the price.

2) You have to tip, even when the service is crappy.

3) You always have to wait in line, while in China if you wait in line you'll suffer (I learned it the hard way). :)

4) The Canadian government is f***ing annoying and sends bills and random crap to your mailbox all the time.

5) The weather sucks. I was in Vancouver for less than 2 weeks and it was raining+freezing cold. In Toronto it easily gets down to -20 and -30 degrees Celsius.

6) You are half-paralyzed if you don't have a car. Not having a car is like having no legs.

7) Canadian women (all races) SUCK!
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!