Errrm... 'Relocating within America' on 'Happier Abroad'?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.
LukeSkywaIker
Freshman Poster

Errrm... 'Relocating within America' on 'Happier Abroad'?

Post by LukeSkywaIker »

Logic seems to escape someone on this forum.
KristineTheStrawberryGirl
Freshman Poster

Post by KristineTheStrawberryGirl »

It depends on one's perception. One person may be "happier/happy abroad" but may not want to set up permanent residence in a foreign country for any number of reasons (family, career, friends, etc...). Some people find that a simple solution is finding a place within America, because there are so many different types of places.

It also depends on your situation. If I was single, then I'd be more likely to feel the urge to move abroad. However, I am married with a son and I have a close-knit family. I don't really feel the urge to move abroad so much, because my needs are met. I like to travel abroad to experience culture, inspiration and adventure, not to set up residence (although my husband and I are considering buying a "dacha" abroad). There are many ways of American society, lifestyle and culture, that do not not mesh well with my own values, but I have found creative ways to make it work.

As far as logic goes, considering other perspectives, possibilities and challenges is very much a part of logic and proper reasoning. Relocating within America is a viable option, which has happened to work for a few of Winston's friends, including myself.
"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Ludwig Wittgenstein
Frankly006
Freshman Poster

Post by Frankly006 »

Discussing life within America is valid for understanding whether one wants to relocate. There is no illogic.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Yes it does seem illogical on the surface. However, my site nor I am 100 percent consistent. Nor am I a strict person, as you've noticed, unlike the people here in Taiwan where I am at the moment.

I just thought that since some might not have the resources or ability to go abroad, or have too many obligations, that there should be a board for them to discuss relocating within the US or Canada. After, it's an option. And I like to present all the options available to someone. Isn't that the logical thing to do? :)
KristineTheStrawberryGirl
Freshman Poster

Post by KristineTheStrawberryGirl »

WWu777 wrote:Yes it does seem illogical on the surface. However, my site nor I am 100 percent consistent. Nor am I a strict person, as you've noticed, unlike the people here in Taiwan where I am at the moment.

I just thought that since some might not have the resources or ability to go abroad, or have too many obligations, that there should be a board for them to discuss relocating within the US or Canada. After, it's an option. And I like to present all the options available to someone. Isn't that the logical thing to do? :)
Being somewhat of an existentialist, I imagine that you would agree that people can decide "who" they are no matter where they are born or reside. I am neither xenophobic or xenocentric, nor am I nationalistic or anything of that nature. For me, it's more a matter of an idea that I don't have to be a fat, consumer-driven idiot no matter where I live ... Do I have to relocate to Fiji or somewhere just so I don't have to be driven into some prophecy of wage-slave doom? I think that there is a simpler solution for me.

For those of you in the dating scene, I understand. The dating scene here is pretty diseased, and difficult for men and women. Well, for men and women who don't like mind-games it is impossible. The type of "love" involved has more to do with games (lugos) rather than passion (eros) or family/status/society (pragma). Look at the way our language is used in the dating world ... "he likes to play the field." "oh wow, that guy is such a loser !" "she really got played!" "I hope I get lucky tonight!" See how all of this language relates to playing games ... Compare this to the language that was used back in the earlier 20th century. "There are plenty of fish in the sea." "Why buy the cow when the milk is free." This implies more practical types ideas (pragma). Then there were also sayings such as "I can't live with or without you." "I am mad/crazy about you." "I have a crush on you." These sayings imply passion (eros), and honestly ... when was the last time YOU heard anyone say this in America and not be joking??? Yes, the dating scene does suck here, and I won't even try to say it doesn't. Maybe I am the only married person here? For me, my desire to not be a fat, consumer driven idiot just is not quite enough to make me move abroad. I think I can do this as an individual, and maybe just try to set an example to others. Also, my husband would have some say in the matter of moving abroad. We have discussed the possibility, someday, of having a home or second home abroad. He is from Suhumi, and if the situation gets better there, it'd be nice to take Babushka back there for a while .... Who knows. [/u]
"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Ludwig Wittgenstein
jtest28
Freshman Poster

Post by jtest28 »

I am currently relocating within the USA. I have raveled all over the USA and have been to every state. (Used to be an OTR trucker) There are still a few rare places here and there that contain friendly people, though they seem to be drying up as time goes on! I am moving to Eastern Tennessee, as the women there are a bit more laid back. Wyoming women were always extremely nice to me and for some reason, seem to have an unusual attraction to me. However, the men there make life dull. Its strange how one place has nice men, but bad women. And another place it will be vice versa. I thought about Northern central Arkansas, for the soul reason of the gender ratio is so extreme over there. In town after town, its like 74 men to every 100 women. That in itself, would make it nice to see women who choose to reject men, actually STAY alone. Where as, in Southern Arkansas, where I am at now, a woman can stay alone, yet have so many desperate men worship her, that it doesn't bother her that she doesn't have a boyfriend. This is why when you get to the West coast, you see more of this attitude from the women there. (Plenty of men there to choose from) The gender ratio changes as you go from East to West. You don't have to travel to see it either. Get out a map and pick a city or large town and run a google search on it and find the gender ratio. Then run a yahoo dating search on that town. Go through and look at the women's ads and you can see a pattern. But keep in mind the racial makeup of the city when you are looking at gender ratio, as places with a lot of African-Americans will throw the reading off (Assuming you are looking for white women) because those people, have a different gender ratio, even at birth. And then black men die off so fast, leaving behind an elevated number of black women, which drives the stats in a further direction than whites. So if you are looking for white women, find a city where they outnumber men and run a dating search, and you will see, even small towns of 10,000 or so in population, with hundreds of dating ads from women, all living in that one town. And the women are usually nicer than if you are looking in places with a woman shortage. At the very least, even if the women are not so nice there, it's still fun as hell to watch a ton of women stay alone and get desperate for sex, and the whole time know you have the upper hand. And I can't see how the hell men can stomach California, with its 150,000 more men than women. Keep in mind, this is for TOTAL age groups, not the 20-40 crowd. See, women outlive men, so it throws the numbers off for the younger crowd. So the younger age groups have an even greater woman shortage in California. Because I can find a town (Usually further toward the East) with a ratio of 80 men per 100 women, yet when I research the high school, I see there are the exact opposite in numbers, 80 women for every 100 men! So obviously, if the city is like 100/100, (And many on the West coast are) the ratio for the 20-35 group must be absolutely horrible for a guy.